Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Weird and wonderful


As you may have gathered from the blurb(s) dotted around this blog, I certainly don't want this to become purely about recipes. I want this to also be an open and honest discussion about food and the way we think about it. If we're honest with ourselves, the amount of cooking we do that is done by following recipes to the letter is rare compared to the everyday 'I'm going to cook _______ today, because I feel like it'. Most of the stuff I cook either comes from cravings that appear out of nowhere, like 'needing' to devour the irony-squidginess of spinach or having my lips tingle from a lot of chilli.

We all have our idiosyncrasies when it comes to food, lots of us gross out our friends with our strange food combinations. They can be things that have passed down through families or random cravings that just won't go away, and I'm going to list some of my freaky foods in the hope some of you join in!

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I do love to eat:

- Cabbage water i.e. the pale green water drained after boiling cabbage. My grandmother used to give it to us when it was warm, and us grandkids became so accustomed that we'd fight over who had the one with most bits in it!

- Burnt oven chips. My mother never claimed to be a top chef but she always tried, although after so many years of burnt food you get used to it. I love it when they turn to a charcoal-like crunch!

- Baked beans straight from the tin. When I was a student I relied on tinned food and had a very small food budget, my midnight snack would often be a tin of beans with late night GCSE Bitesize programs on in the background as I crammed for the next day's exam.

Comment below to share your unusual must-haves!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment