Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Boozy student treats



I came up with this combination when I was pretty skint in my third year of Uni. My housemate and I couldn't afford a night out so I decided to cook us both a meal with whatever was left in the cupboard. I had my heart set on making ice cream as I'd had an ice cream machine for Christmas. Unfortunately something had happened to the blade so I decided to use my lasagna dish to make a crunchy granita with some orange juice and whatever I thought of next. To my surprise, it was pretty amazing with the orange granita served in glasses with a shot of grappa over it.

Rob's boozy granita

1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
Grated zest of 2 oranges
Juice of 6 oranges
Juice of 1 lemon
Shot or 2 of Grappa

In a small saucepan, bring water, sugar and orange zest to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove pan from stove and cool.

Pour the granita mixture into a wide and shallow container, such as a lasagna dish.

Cover with a lid, foil or plastic wrap. Freeze the mixture 1 to 2 hours, until it is solid around the edges. Take the container out of the freezer and scrape the ice with a fork, mixing it from the edges into the center.

Repeat this scraping and mixing process every 30 minutes or so (at least three times) until the entire mixture has turned into small, sequined ice flakes. When ready to serve, "rake" with a fork to loosen the granita and spoon into serving dishes. Drizzle liberally with grappa and give yourself a pat on the back.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment