Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Growing pains


I've turned my hand to growing my own herbs and veg a few times over the years. I once had a fabulous little olive tree that was a couple of years away from producing edible olives, it really gave the delapidated student house I was living in an unexpected twist. Curly blue carpet? Check! Dangerous gas hob? Check! Mediterranean shrub? Check! I tended to it and moved it around a lot to give it enough sun, but unfortunately I was in such a rush to move out from the house due to the carbon monoxide leak that I left it on the kitchen roof. You may not think it counts as a big loss as olives are easy to come by these days, but it was like a portable piece of Italy that I'd grown attached to.

When I moved back home for the summer, I brought back the mini herb garden that used to keep my olive tree company. It had been a lush, green and compact little thing but it never recovered after my housemate forgot to water it when I went on holiday. It struggled to stay alive for a few weeks but when I brought it back home, it must've spent its last bit of energy fending off the insects and birds who eventually pecked it away to nothing.

After Christmas I spotted a grow your own chilli set in town and decided to give it a go. That was 2 months ago. I now have 27 little chilli seedlings, parsley, thyme, peppers and basil all thriving in the conservatory. All I have to do now is make sure the dog doesn't go in there and 'water' them himself...

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment