Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Salads and squidge

I cooked for hours today. It made me very happy indeed. I haven't been spending as much time cooking for myself as I usually like and so having the house to myself was the perfect opportunity to cook the things I've been craving to cook every time I open the fridge door.

I'm off to the Hay Literary Festival tomorrow and promised my friend I'd prepare a salad, as we both get rather grumpy indeed if we don't eat properly. With the help of some skewers I've assembled some lovely ingredients that I think go very well together:


- Roasted butternut squash
- Leafy salad base (I used lamb's lettuce and young rocket but raw spinach is also good)
- Mozzarella pearls or grilled halloumi chunks
- Crispy/fried pancetta cubes
- Fried and crumbled sage leaves

I've crumbled the sage leaves into the pancetta and kept it separately in a tub so they don't go chewy overnight. The leaves will stay crunchy as there isn't really a dressing (the oil from the other things will serve as one) and the skewers keep everything in tact. Quite ingenious I think!


I also made my minty feta squidge again tonight. It's basically just mint, crumbled feta, olive oil and a whole load of black pepper. You can keep the feta chunky, crumbly or smooth and it doesn't affect the taste. I like to use this quite crumbly and oily to spoon over lamb, or like tonight I make it quite smooth and dip in my vegetable kebabs. Once you find your own preferred flavour balance you'll find yourself making it often and even variations with different herbs and cheeses.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment