Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Meet Fiona.... the strawberry.



I caught the green fingered bug... wrong metaphor. Well, I caught something in January when I bought a chilli growing kit from Wilkinsons. I bored by friends to death by posting pictures up on Facebook everytime one sprouted and tended to them every morning. I bought a mini greenhouse stand and put the 20-odd chilli plants in it. It was soon joined by mini herb gardens and fledgling peppers. The mini greenhouse was loaded with soon-to-be goodies but I lost them all in a storm. The greenhouse blew over and everything was destroyed. Soooo annoying!

I quickly started again and now have a new sturdy greenhouse literally bolted to the floor and filled with everything from tomatoes to Persian cumin, from aubergines to spearmint. Now comes the next task: finding out how to best use these ingredients as they grow and ripen.

The first thing I will turn to will be the herb growing most abundantly and in need of chopping back, the frilly-looking Persian cumin aka caraway. I've had a nibble and it tastes like strong parsley with a faint aniseed hint. I'll spend the time until the next blog entry finding a worthwhile recipe and letting you know more about caraway.

Thanks for reading!

(And it's Fiona, as in Shrek)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment