Powered by Blogger.
RSS

New year, new start

It's that time of year when we're all making an effort to start anew with our diets and incorporate more fresh fruit and veg into our meals. I've been doing pretty well at this healthy eating lark (apart from the potato gratin and slow cooked pork I made yesterday) and have relished the chance to reassess the way I cook my food. I'd fallen into the habit of eating what I wanted when I wanted it, and that can't continue forever. It doesn't help that I've only been living with The Fella for about four months and we treat every meal time as an opportunity to show off our kitchen skills and eat comfort food during our cwtchy nights in. However, I cannot go on holiday to Portugal in September and complain I'm not happy with my body when I've made no discernible effort to change it.

Today's recipe will be the first of a new wave of healthier recipes, which I will endeavor to make just as tasty as the comfort food. Stay with me!

Salmon with pepper salsa

Salmon fillets (with skin)
1/2 yellow pepper
1 shallot (or  1/2small onion)
1 lime
1 tomato
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
Small dollop of mustard


Finely chop the pepper, shallot and tomato. Mix together and add the oil and juice of the lime. Add lime zest and chilli to taste.

Get a frying pan really hot with about 1 tbsp of veg or sunflower oil (don't use olive oil as this needs to be hot and olive oil will burn). Once the pan gets too hot to hold your hand over it, lay the salmon fillets skin side down first until they go brown at the edges and crispy. Quickly sear the sides of the fillets by holding each side for a few seconds until seared. Then place the fish skin side up to finish the cooking. Take the pan off the heat while you assemble the other ingredients.

I made a dressing for the salad by draining off some of the juices/oil from the salsa and mixing with a bit more oil and a tiny dollop of mustard to thicken. Then mix the salad and dressing together and plate up with the cool punchy salsa, succulent salmon and any other veg you have lying around.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment